Struggling and Special Needs Learners
“God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good.” This includes our struggling and special needs learners … they are fearfully and wonderfully made! The Lord always has good things in store for His people, and He has some good things in store for you at the convention this year.
Take a look at the lineup of special panels and speakers, and bring hope to your family! Join experts and fellow homeschoolers in finding the answers to your child’s learning issues. Thursday, Friday and Saturday provide many practical and interactive workshops focusing on the issues that many families with struggling learners and special needs are facing. You will also have opportunity to meet and network with others who have taken part in home educating their special children for years!
Even more encouragement will be available to you through the Home School Oasis! Veteran home educators of special needs and struggling learners will provide counseling and prayer support. If you know someone who has a struggling learner or special needs individual, encourage them to come. It will be very informative, inspiring and well worth the trip!
ASL interpreters will be on site to assist hearing impaired attendees with all keynotes and select workshops. If you are interested in using this service, call 1.847.603.1259 and let us know!
Matthew McNatt Returns with Special Needs Support
We are happy to have Matthew McNatt coming to minister to families who are homeschooling students who are struggling, or who are faced with special needs. In Matthew’s workshops, you will learn how to help your child pay attention, remember instructions, and reliably follow through. You will also learn what it’s like for a child to struggle, how you can recover and nurture a child’s trust, and specific ways you can support your child in becoming a more competent, respectful, and self-directed learner. Matthew’s practical and interactive workshops will focus on the basic issues that many families with special needs are facing. Be sure to attend his Saturday workshops, where he will address two key struggles that he has most encountered with parents of special and struggling learners.
Speakers Offer Encouragement and Solutions
We are happy to have two convention speakers presenting special workshops this year! Sonya Shafer will be sharing Biblical encouragement and spiritual lessons learned while dealing with special needs, and Cheryl Carter will share with parents of ADD/ADHD children practical ways to help organize their children.
A Panel of Veterans is Here to Help - Plus, Hear from Siblings!
Thursday’s special needs track will end with a panel of veteran homeschool parents who have traveled the journey of homeschooling their special needs students. Come listen to their stories, be encouraged as they share the struggles they’ve encountered and the blessings they’ve received, and be prepared with your questions during the Q&A time! Also, we have a very special panel of siblings of special needs students! We encourage you to attend this session to hear these young adults’ perspectives of life with their special needs brother(s) or sister(s). The insight gained from hearing from brothers and sisters touched by their special family members will help you understand their perspective in a fresh way. Please bring your teenagers with you—they will also be encouraged!
SN = Special Needs Learner
SLSN = Struggling Learners and Special Needs Learner
1. Change What Isn’t Working: “I’m frustrated. I just don’t get it!” – SLSN – McNatt – Thursday
2. Achieve Excellence While Reducing Effort: “I’m ALREADY trying hard!” – SLSN – McNatt – Thursday
3. Homeschooling 101 for Special and Struggling Learners – SLSN – Panel – Thursday
4. Avoid Self-Righteousness and Cultivate a Virtuous Heart: “I’m proud to be so humble.” – SN – McNatt – Friday
5. Spectrum Disorders, Part 1: Entering Your Child’s WoAttention Difficulties, Anxiety Issues, and Autism
6. Spectrum Disorders, Part 2: Helping the Larger World Make Sense – SN – McNatt – Friday
7. Struggling and Special Learners: Academic Q&A – SLSN – McNatt – Friday
8. Helping Your ADD/ADHD Child Cope – SN – Cheryl Carter – Friday
9. Nurture a Desire to Learn in Special Needs Children: “I want to get it right!” – SN – McNatt – Saturday
10. Get Respect and Cultivate Peace with Special Needs Children: “How can I get what I want?” – SN – McNatt – Saturday
11. Brothers and Sisters Speak Out: Special Needs Siblings Panel – SN – Saturday
12. Lessons from the Valley – SN – Shafer – Saturday
- Keynote Speakers
- Speakers & Workshops
- Special Features
- Convention Info
- Special Needs
- Struggling and Special Needs Learners
- ASL Interpreters
- Matthew McNatt Returns with Special Needs Support
- Speakers Offer Encouragement and Solutions
- A Panel of Veterans is Here to Help - Plus, Hear from Siblings!
- Registration Info
- Exhibit Hall
- Young Entrepreneurs