Making the Most of the Convention
Attending the ICHE convention can be overwhelming! With so many sessions to choose from, so many people to talk with, so many vendors to visit, so many books to look through it's best to set a plan for your day ahead of time. Here are a few tips from parents who have attended the convention in previous years. Have any to add? Drop us an email with "Convention Tips" in the subject line.
- Pray and ask the Lord to help you get His best from the Convention.
- Attend the Keynote Sessions. Academic resources are easily available. Vision and encouragement are harder to find.
- Consider that you and your spouse may want to attend different workshops. Study the schedule and then divide and conquer. If you cannot attend all the sessions you want, plan to purchase tapes or CDs at the convention so you can save shipping charges.
- Decide on a time and a place to reunite!
- Take some time to study the Vendor Hall map. If you have a "need list" go to those tables first, since vendors do run out of materials on occasion.
- As time allows, browse the Vendor Hall and check the products on your "want list'. Are they as good as you thought? Remember to pick up free samples or brochures.
- Shop around the Vendor Hall. Some vendors will be offering discounts. Carry your notebook and make notes.
- Look for non-consumable reusable materials.
- Don't make any major purchases not on your "need list'. Regret may prove to be a high price.
- Be fair! If you spend a significant block of time with a particular vendor discussing a specific item, repay that vendor for his time by purchasing the item from him rather that a competitor.
- Relax! The convention is planned to serve you. Take a 15-30 minute break each day.